10/03/2008

Wake On LAN

As I always say at work, "I'm not our IT guy, I'm just our best bet." And today I have cracked another issue, and I feel good.

A new PC was installed in one of the broadcast studios but for some reason it was placed where you couldn't reach it just as the boss wants to save the planet or something, so he wants us to turn it off when it's not in use.

That's fine, apart from you have to actually crawl under the desk to turn it back on.

Well, not any more. Thanks to a really good Hot To guide on setting up a PC to "Wake On LAN". If you want to see the guide, click here.

It was so easy to set up. It probably took about 4 minutes, and most of that time was waiting for the PC to rebook so I could check the BIOS settings.

And now I never have to bend under that desk. That's technology working for you.

[source]

No comments: