7/28/2010

Toxic Macadamia Nuts

I was on the way back from an evening of work, after a long day when I hadn't eaten. I was very hungry and stopped at a service area but I didn't want to eat some fattening burger or chocolate snack. I thought I'd get some macadamia nuts. Yeah, nuts are known to be a healthy snack. I got home, feeling all healthy, and I went to sleep.

About an hour after I fell asleep I woke up with some terrible stomach pains. I then spent the rest of the night doing thing that I will only describe as “both ends”.

The next day I took to Google to see what I had. I thought I might have a macadamia nuts allergy but the symptoms of that are all about hives and swelling. I didn't have any of that.

But then I found a site that mentioned the symptoms I actually suffered. It listed vomiting, weakness, depression, diarrhea, difficulty walking, and muscle tremors.

I had all of those. So I clicked on the link to see what I had only to find that it was a list of symptoms that dogs get when they are fed macadamia nuts. They're toxic to dogs and I have the same problem. Basically, I am medically like a dog.

No wonder I love a good walk.

No comments: